May 2013 is Bicycle Safety Month, but bike safety should be observed every day!
This campaign is a partnership between the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and AAA to encourage everyone to model safe behaviors to enhance the safety of all road users, including those who bicycle. Whether you are a motorist or bicyclist, a parent/grandparent, adult, or older youth, ride for transportation or recreation, we can all play a part in being a "Roll Model" to decrease the risks of traffic crashes and preventable injuries and deaths.
Being A "Roll Model" Means
- Riding and Driving Focused -- never distracted
- Riding and Driving Prepared -- always expect the unexpected
- Putting Safety First -- we never know when a crash will occur, regardless of skill level or age; always wear a bicycle helmet when on a bicycle and a seat belt when in a car
- Following the Rules of the Road -- a bicyclist is considered a vehicle on the road with all the rights on the roadway and responsibilities of motorized traffic
- Sharing the Road -- both vehicle drivers (motorist and bicyclist) should look out for one another and show mutual respect
Tools and Tips
|Child Pledge||Youth Pledge||Parent Pledge||Wear A Helmet||Fitting Your Helmet||Youth Tips||Parent Tips|
Web Videos2 Items For internet Use Only. Files not broadcast quality. Click on PREVIEW for more information.